Saturday, June 20, 2009

Advertisements are a spell. And no one can break it





Having not had class on Thursday, and not being able to discuss this assignment with the class, I was unsure of what talk about in my blog. Then I began thinking about how I decide what clothes I consistently buy and how I come to that decision. My first thought was simply, “I buy the clothes I want.” But that raises another question, how do I know and decide what clothes I want? Although I may not realize it or it may not be blatantly obvious, I am, along with 99 percent of the US population, subliminal influenced by advertisers. I like to think of myself as independent, and tend not to care what other people think about me. I do not have a definitive answer as to why I buy the clothes I do. In some cases, it is easier to figure out. For instance, I know exactly why I bought my favorite Jets hat: I am a diehard New York Jets fan. I know that has nothing to do with them being the most popular or the best, because in both cases they are not. When talking about clothing items such as t-shirts and jeans, the reasoning behind the purchase becomes a little more difficult to figure out. I know I like Hollister and Abercrombie because of their style, but it also runs deeper than that (believe it or not, the quality of their clothing, and more specifically Abercrombie’s, is exceptional and their clothes last me years). But again, all of this can come full circle and lead us back to the question of whether or not I am being influenced subconsciously. Does there HAVE to be a reason I like their clothing other than that I just simply like it, or is that never the case with anybody. I suspect this question can be discussed for hours, and without ever finding an answer. My belief is that advertising influences everyone, including myself, whether they are aware of it or not. If that is not the case, why would companies still spend millions of dollars to advertise?

No comments:

Post a Comment