Tuesday, June 2, 2009

That trend was SO five minutes ago ...

At first, I had a lot of trouble thinking about what to write for this blog. I considered talking about the different effects from the book, but realized that I really did not have a strong enough opinion or knowledge of the topics in order to do that. So it was back to the drawing board. Then I began to think about the documentary, "Merchants of Cool," that we just watched in class. While watching the documentary, I thought, “Is this really how they figure out what is popular? By paying kids to circle company logos on a piece of paper?” Unfortunately, it is.

Although, I cant completely disagree with it because of the evidence available to prove that these methods work. The only reason why this method does not sit well with me is because I feel like it works too slowly. Trends come and go so quickly in this day and age it is nearly impossible to keep up. In my opinion, by the time these companies figure out what is popular, a new trend is already taking the place of the one they just discovered. Kids and teens, along with these companies, always want to be up to date on the newest and most popular clothing, music, movies, and television shows. The question I have always asked myself is, “How new trends develop? How does a new style of clothing or a new type of music become so popular with so many people?”

I think that if marketers could find a way to figure out these new and popular trends at their conception, not many other firms will be able to keep up. This, however, raises another question: When does the conception of a new trend specifically take place? These are all questions that I have come up with that if answered, will monumentally change the face of marketing and all of the aspect of business associated with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment