Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson, you will be missed ... by some

Let me start by saying that today’s class was very interesting, mostly because the first hour was filled with suspense and confusion as to whether or not Michael Jackson was indeed, dead. Eventually, after stalking the CNN news updates by the minute, the wonderful Internet was able to answer all of our questions. Michael Jackson has in fact died of a heart attack at the age of 50. Click here to read the article on CNN. Personally, I am un-phased by his death. I acknowledge the accomplishments Michael made as a pioneer for pop music, which is clearly undeniable. He was a brilliant innovator in his own time and will forever be remember for his signature crotch-grabbing, high-pitched voice, and of course, the moonwalk (no one does it better). While reading more about MJ online (I wanted to know about his personal life, not just his music career), I came across this website: http://www.mj-covers.com/. Believe it or not, this website is dedicated to recording down every magazine cover MJ has ever been on (including when he was a member of the Jackson 5). I personally find that to be a little excessive, and definitely creepy, but at the same time I am not the least bit surprised. Michael, and celebrities in general, usually have a way of becoming pivotal aspects of fans’ lives. Some become incredibly obsessed, to the point where it would be considered unhealthy. So while I personally feel the way I feel, I understand how crazy people can get over celebrities (look at the way people reacted to the Beatles; women would faint when they saw them). Do not get me wrong; I am not HAPPY in any way that Michael died. I do not believe that anyone deserves to die young; I just think people are blowing this out of proportion. Acknowledging his death and honoring his contributions to music is one thing, but acting like his death is a national tragedy takes it too far for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment