Saturday, June 6, 2009

Lee Harvey Oswald, the media thanks you

From the moment class ended on Thursday, I knew what I wanted to talk about in my blog. At first, I was going to touch on the different broadcasting companies that my classmates talked about but realized I might not be able to get three hundred words from that so I began thinking of something else to write about (I’m kidding, well, sort of). All of that seemed like an interesting topic to discuss until we began watching the documentary, "JFK: Breaking the News," on the assassination of President Kennedy. I had already seen videos similar to this one, and in fact, had written a paper my freshman year of high school on this assassination that I unfortunately do not still have. I did not think I would find the documentary interested, but found myself to be proved wrong by the end of class.

This documentary allowed me to focus on different aspects of the assassination that my paper freshman year had not: the media side of the story. Following the reporters around all day and getting an inside, first-hand look at everything that happens behind the scenes really made it easy for me to grasp the chaos and pandemonium from that historic day. What it also did was make it easy for me to see how far the world of media has come. It went from having unorganized flocks of reporters in the holding room of the police station with the key witness to a president’s murder, to orderly (for the most part) questioning with rules and restrictions to access of certain areas.

Unofficially, President Kennedy’s assassination was the first day in this country’s history when television played a monumental role in our society. Today, life would be drastically different if it were not for that beloved box that everyone (or almost everyone) has in his or her home. Television is the portal that connects everyday people to the events happening all around our cities, states, countries, and even the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment