Tuesday, June 16, 2009

One man's journey around the world

Being completely honest, when it comes to most things regarding newspapers, I am not afraid to say that I am extremely ignorant. I have the most basic understanding of newspapers that one person could have. That is, until Robert Montemayor entered into my life via our Media Systems class. While he did not talk specifically about what happens behind the scenes that makes the paper function, he provided amazing insight into the life of a write, although I have a feeling not everyone’s journey is as adventurous. It was captivating to listen to Montemayor’s account of leaving his hometown in Texas to start his new job in the big city. I was amazed at how many different places he has travelled to: Australia, Europe, South America, and many more that I am not giving him credit for. I also began to think how fortunate Montemayor is for being able to say he has had all of those experiences in all of those different countries. Because to the best of my knowledge (keep in mind I already admitted to my ignorance on the subject, so this statement may be wrong), but most writers do not get the privilege to travel to even one of the many countries Montemayor has visited. While I never considering entering into the field of writing or journalism, Montemayor’s stories have definitely grabbed my attention and allowed myself to consider the possibilities. Even though I am majoring in sports management, there is no reason why I cannot double major and try to start a career in sports journalism or sports writing. Being that SportsCenter is my favorite show, I have long dreamed of being an NFL analyst that writes articles and blogs on a daily basis. Montemayor helped me to realize that this dream is not unrealistic and may in fact be easier than I initially thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment